Monday 26 March 2018

Assault on Precinct 13 (5 Stars)


I can usually remember when I first saw my favourite films. Even if I can't remember where I first saw them, I can say approximately what year it was. This is an exception. Did I see it in the 1980's, the 1990's or the 2000's? I have no idea. The only thing I can say to narrow it down is that I bought the DVD that I watched today on 3rd March 2005. I have an infallible record of when I bought films from Amazon. Unfortunately, I didn't buy all my films from Amazon. I bought a lot of DVDs from stores in Birmingham, such as Virgin, HMV and Zavvi. I didn't keep my receipts. I threw them away after the first time I watched the films and knew that the discs were okay.

If I had to guess, I'd say I first watched "Assault on Precinct 13" between 1997 and 2003 on television. It impressed me immediately. I believe that for a short while I called it my favourite film. It's not so high in my list now, but I still include it in my list of 30 films to watch before you die. If you're one of the few people who still hasn't seen it, I can't recommend it highly enough. Just don't get it mixed up with the poor quality 2005 remake.

The film was made in 1976 with a budget of less than $100,000 which was a small amount even for the time. When it was released it was hardly noticed, but it's gained high critical acclaim over the years. It has a 98% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, to which my reaction is "Why not more?" The film is so simple, but it's perfect in its simplicity.

The film takes place in Los Angeles. 12-year-old Kathy is shot by a gang member when she's buying an ice cream. Her father manages to shoot the man in revenge. God bless America! God bless guns! He flees from the other gang members into a nearby police station. What he doesn't know is that the police station has already closed. There is just a lieutenant and two secretaries waiting for everything to be cleared out the next day.


A bus passing through deposits three prisoners in the cells while waiting for a doctor. But then the gang arrives, wanting to kill the girl's father in revenge. It's a big attack, at least 30 gang members, maybe 50. The police lieutenant can't hold them off by himself, so he gives the prisoners guns and asks them for help.

I can't fault the film. None of the actors are famous, and some of them made hardly any other films, but they all put on excellent performances. For instance, Kim Richardson, the child actress who played Kathy, is still an actress and has progressed to playing minor roles in films like "Sharknado 3". That's hardly an outstanding career, but she was in the right place at the right time and was simply perfect in this film.

This is probably the best action film of the 1970's -- I'm willing to argue with everyone who says differently -- and it's definitely the best low budget film ever made.

Order from Amazon.com
Order from Amazon.co.uk
Order from Amazon.de

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.