Wednesday 30 August 2017

TV Series: Luke Cage


After watching another two episodes of "Luke Cage" I have a few brief thoughts that I'd like to add to the review that I wrote two days ago.

It's possible that there isn't a continuity error between "Jessica Jones" and "Luke Cage" (the series). This series takes place after the events of "Jessica Jones". Luke's bar was destroyed, so now he's had to downsize, working two jobs to make ends meet. He still seems like a different character, but that could be a result of personal development. Everything that happened to him in "Jessica Jones" has led him through a period of introspection, and meeting Pop has also profoundly influenced his life.

On the other hand, Luke's bar was in Hell's Kitchen. He's living in Harlem now, but when Nurse Claire Temple talks about Hell's Kitchen he acts like he hardy knows it.


I'm glad that Nurse Claire is back. The series (or group of Marvel series) need a regular character who has no super powers and will (probably) never get any. She's a reminder that normal people like you and me can also be heroes, if we have the simple desire to do good. Apart from that, I'm always happy to see Rosario Dawson. All the efforts to make her look plain and unglamorous fail to hide how beautiful she is.


Nurse Claire? Oops! In the 1970's comics she was a doctor. I wonder why the writers of the TV series have knocked her down a pay grade or two. On the other hand, the medical work she does in "Daredevil" surpasses what's usually expected of a nurse, so I don't doubt she has the natural talent to become a doctor.

After watching six episodes I can see that the series creators are trying to avoid the blaxploitation feeling of the 1970's comics, but they're not succeeding. The crime and the music keep the atmosphere alive. I don't say that as a criticism. I enjoy blaxploitation films. It's possible that after the arrest of Cottonmouth there will be less soul music, but I won't know that until I've watched another few episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.