Saturday 17 September 2016

Best TV Series of All Time


Two weeks ago I published a list of the best TV series of all time as suggested by the German magazine "TV Movie". I was very critical of the list. Click here to read my post. I decided to put together my own list, but I felt myself incapable of making an objective list, because there are so many television series that I have never watched. Apart from that, I have my own tastes, in particular a natural tendency to rate comedy series lower than drama series.

Eventually I thought of a way to make a list that's almost objective. I gave points to all TV series given Emmy and Golden Globe nominations for the last 50 years, based on whether they won awards or were only nominated. I added a few bonus points for the current Amazon best sellers. I multiplied the result by an age factor to give a bias to newer series. Then I multiplied by a "cult factor" to give a bias to series that I hear people talking about. This is the result.

  1. Sopranos
  2. Game of Thrones
  3. Star Trek
  4. Xena Warrior Princess
  5. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  6. Sex and the City
  7. Ally McBeal
  8. Lost
  9. MASH
  10. Taxi
  11. Highlander
  12. La Femme Nikita
  13. Homeland
  14. Breaking Bad
  15. Orange is the New Black
  16. Twin Peaks
  17. Dexter
  18. Columbo
  19. X-Files
  20. 24
  21. Boardwalk Empire
  22. Office
  23. Cheers
  24. Downton Abbey
  25. Mad Men
  26. Frasier
  27. Rome
  28. Mr. Robot
  29. West Wing
  30. NYPD Blue
  31. Friends
  32. Batman
  33. Seinfeld
  34. Kojak
  35. Big Bang Theory
  36. Avengers
  37. ER
  38. Heroes
  39. Deadwood
  40. Desperate Housewives
  41. House of Cards
  42. 3rd Rock from the Sun
  43. Dallas
  44. True Blood
  45. Charlie's Angels
  46. Alias
  47. Star Trek: TNG
  48. Walking Dead
  49. Starsky and Hutch
  50. Simpsons
Before you complain that one of your favourite series is missing from the list, there are a few of mine missing as well. In a personal list I would have put "Doctor Who" near the top, but the series had so few points to begin with that even the maximum cult factor couldn't push it into the top 50. I'm also sad that recent series like "Daredevil", "Arrow" and "Gotham" are missing from the list. If it had been my own list I wouldn't have included "Sex and the City" at all, because I hate it. People have different tastes.

Nevertheless, comments are welcome. Let me know what you think of the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.