Saturday 26 December 2015

Scream 2 (5 Stars)


After watching "I know what you did last summer" and "I still know what you did last summer" two days ago I've decided to continue with the teen slasher theme for this Christmas. If you can't watch horror films at Christmas, when can you watch them?

In my opinion, the time from 1996 to 2000 was the pinnacle of horror films. In those five years the best five horror films of all time were made, all of them teen slasher movies, and nothing since has even come close. That's the two aforementioned films and the Scream trilogy.


What made them so good? Two names are connected with them more than any others. Wes Craven directed the three Scream films.


Kevin Williamson wrote the screenplay for the first two Scream films and "I know what you did last summer".

That doesn't mean that these two giants of cinema were solely responsible. Neither of them were involved with "I still know what you did last summer", but it was nevertheless a brilliant film. They reunited to make "Scream 4" in 2011 which was a very good film, but not up to the standard of the first three.

Wes Craven passed away last August. Kevin Williamson is still active, though mostly in television series, including "The Vampire Diaries". I'm hoping that a new film of similar brilliance will be made, with or without his participation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.