Thursday 17 July 2014

The Red Violin (5 Stars)


Usually I plan my viewing in advance. When I finish a film I lay a disc on the table next to my DVD player so that I know what to watch next. I'm rarely an impulsive viewer. It has to be a very good film to break my routine. A film like "The Red Violin". I talked to a friend about it last night, and today I had an uncontrollable urge to watch it again. I think I included it in a list of my top 20 favourite films a while ago. It ought to be in the top 10. It's a brilliant multi-cultural epic. If I remember correctly, the film's story-telling, interweaving three events at a time (17th Century Italy, 20th Century Canada and changing sequences in between), was confusing to me on first viewing, but from the second time on everything was obvious. It's difficult to believe that the film only won one Oscar (for the soundtrack). It deserved more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.