Saturday 12 October 2013

Spaceballs (4½ Stars)


I'm ashamed to admit that today is the first time I've ever seen this film. Yes, I knew it existed. Yes, I knew it was good. For years friends have reacted with shock when I said I've never seen it. I don't really know why I've waited 25 years.

This Mel Brooks film is primarily a parody of Star Wars, but it also references "Star Trek" (the original series), "Alien" and "Planet of the Apes". It often breaks through the third wall, especially in the second half of the film, which is something I greatly enjoy as a film making technique. The jokes about it being a film about something that is really happening during the filming are more frequent than they were in "Blazing Saddles".

I won't waste time talking about the plot. If you like Mel Brooks you should watch it. If you like comedies you should watch it. If you like science fiction you should watch it. In fact, if you like any sort of film at all you should watch it. And if you've never watched a film in your life, make this your first.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, so glad you finally got around to this one, it is a 'must see' for sure. Who doesn't love a good parody? Oh, or rather a well done one. And Joan Rivers did rather well, not nearly as annoying as her regular self I thought. My son's still joke about Pizza the Hut and how he got trapped...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I waited so long. The first Mel Brooks film I saw was "Young Frankenstein", and I've been a fan of his films ever since. I need to watch it again soon. And "Blazing Saddles". And "Silent Movie". Sigh... so many films, so little time!

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.