Sunday 10 February 2013

Men in Black 3 (4½ Stars)

I'll take a few days break from Harry Potter. There are other films I want to watch, and apart from that watching the films in a row makes them feel like extended television episodes. I missed "Men in Black 3" in the cinema, and I finally got round to buying the DVD this week. I couldn't resist the temptation to watch it, having loved the first two films. When the film was in the cinema I read a lot of negative reviews, so I sat down to watch it with mixed expectations.

The first 10 minutes made me groan. It seemed like a parody of the first two films. But after that it settled down. I enjoyed the action, the comedy, and the time travel paradoxes. I decided to read reviews to see why people didn't like it, and I was surprised to find that the majority of the reviews are positive. Now I understand. A film's first reviews are by film critics, and the later reviews (after the DVD release) are by film fans like me. That explains it. The critics hate the film, the fans love it. That's something that happens a lot. I'll knock off half a star because of the weak opening scenes, but apart from that I would consider it a 5 star film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.