Sunday 16 December 2012

General: My Film Ratings

I've heard a few comments about my ratings being inflated. Supposedly three stars is average, above three is good and below three is bad. And yet the majority of my films have higher ratings. I give very few films 2 stars, and almost none earn 1 star. That's easy to explain. I'm not a neutral film reviewer like someone who works for a magazine and watches everything thrown on his desk. I only watch films that I expect to be good. If I expect a film to be bad I won't even give it a chance. Only a few bad films slip through, and I rate them accordingly.

I've thought about making January next year my "Five Star Month". For a whole month I'll only watch films that belong to my favorites. I'll give priority to films that I haven't reviewed yet, i.e. films I haven't watched since I started my blog in September 2010, but I might repeat one or two. I'll see as I go along.

On an unrelated topic... recently I read something that depressed me. An acquaintance of mine writes a blog that I only occasionally check. He advised his readers with valuable music collections (vinyl or CD): "Don't hold onto your collection till you die. Your wives or children won't appreciate them and they'll dump them in the trash. Sell your collection before you die, so that someone will profit from it and you can enjoy the money". He wrote this about music, but it applies just as much to film collections. I have about 1400 films on DVD. Some are common, some are rare, others will be rare 20 years from now. I can imagine my daughter going through my DVD's one day, picking out a dozen she likes, and boxing the rest for the rubbish dump. That's sad. I'd rather give my DVD's to someone than have them destroyed. Maybe there aren't many people who would like them all, my tastes are too varied. I don't plan to die any time soon, but these things can happen suddenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.