Sunday 4 November 2012

Blubberella (unrated)

After careful consideration, I've decided not to give this film a rating. I didn't realise until after I'd watched it that it's a spoof of "Bloodrayne 3", which I haven't watched yet. Director Uwe Boll, well known for cutting costs without skimping on quality, wanted to make two films for the price of one. He filmed "Bloodrayne 3" and "Blubberella" at the same time, using the same actors and the same sets. Immediately after filming a scene for "Bloodrayne 3" he would call the actors back to make a comedy version of the same scene. This way he could make two films for the price of one. Or as he says in an interview, "If Blubberella makes a 25% loss I'll still make an 80% profit". Smart man.



The film style repeatedly breaks through the third wall. (Or is it the fourth wall? I've heard the two terms used interchangeably). In one scene the resistance leader asks his men if they want to assault a German convoy. They don't want to, so he replies, "We have to, it's in the script". There are frequent anachronisms that jarred on me at first, but I began to appreciate them as the film continued.

The plot in brief: Blubberella is an 800-year-old dhampir, half human and half vampire, living in Germany in 1940. She uses the website www.hebrew-hookup.org to date Jewish boys, but Hitler's policy of deporting Jews is making it difficult to find a boyfriend. She joins the resistance to put a stop to it, with the final goal of persuading Hitler to return to a simple life as a painter. Things don't go as easily as planned. When she finds a trainload of Jews the deputy leader of the resistance group, a gay man called Vadge, refuses to free them because of their bad fashion sense. Tasteless, but nevertheless funny. The humour even continues into the final credits:

"Extra special thanks to Adolf Hitler for making so many great movies possible."

I'll rewatch this film after I've seen "Bloodrayne 3" and give a final verdict then.

3 comments:

  1. Uwe Boll sucks, everyone knows that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a harsh statement. I would have ignored it, except for the fact you're not alone in your view. Uwe Boll is a director that people love to hate. A quick web search will find blogs calling him the worst director alive today and saying he should be banned from making another film. Okay, I agree that he's not my favorite director, not even in my top 10, but he's made films worth watching.

      Thanks for your comment anyway, and I hope you'll continue to read my blog. Out of curiosity, JT, what's your favorite film?

      Delete
    2. Titanic, Sex and the city
      i like a lot of films, but those two are the best

      Delete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.