Thursday 28 June 2012

The Tourist (4 Stars)


This film was already reviewed by my guest writer Kaylena here. I knew almost nothing about the film before I bought it. I bought it for two reasons: I love Johnny Depp as an actor, and I love the city of Venice.

Frank Tupelo (Johnny Depp) is a mathematics teacher from America, in Europe as a tourist. When on the train from Paris to Venice, a mysterious woman (Angelina Jolie) approaches him and shows an unexpected amount of interest in him. She even invites him to share her hotel suite in Venice. But if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Elise Ward is the lover of a man called Alexander Pearce, who is being hunted both by gangsters and the English police. Since Pearce has undergone plastic surgery, both the police and the gangsters think that Tupelo is really Pearce.

I enjoyed the film greatly, even though it moves slowly with very little action. Johnny Depp is brilliant, as always. I was happy to see a small part played by Rufus Sewell, one of my favorite actors. 4 Stars seems to be a fair rating, although I do have one problem with the film. I can't take Angelina Jolie seriously as a "beautiful woman". She may have been stunning 10 years ago when she starred in films like "Gia" and "Pushing Tin", but she's not aging well. She was 35 when she made this film, but she has the looks of a 55-year-old struggling to hold onto her youth. It's time for her to stop playing glamorous roles and progress into more matronly characters.

Click here to view the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.