Monday 2 April 2012

TV Series: Jekyll

When I bought this tv series (or more accurately a mini-series) on DVD I knew almost nothing about it. I bought it simply because the writer was Steven Moffat, the controversial new head writer for "Doctor Who". And the fact that the six-episode box set only cost £2.45 made me willing to take a risk.

The story's premise is simple enough. A descendant of the original Dr. Jekyll, also cursed with an evil alter-ego, is living in modern day England. The novel written by Robert Louis Stevenson was not a work of fiction, it was true story.

Steven Moffat is both loved and hated by Doctor Who fans for his style of writing. His stories are very complex, with interlocking plots and sub-plots. I discovered within two episodes of "Jekyll" that this style is typical for his other work. Every episode introduces new twists and surprises. Nothing is certain until the final minutes of the last episode. Excellent story-telling! Definitely worth buying, but I'm afraid that Americans will have to pay $18.65 for the series, five times as much as the English price. It sucks to be an American.

Click here to view the trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.