Monday 23 May 2011

The Lair Of the White Worm (2½ Stars)


I bought this film after seeing a short clip on television. It seemed like a fascinating horror film, and since it's based on a Bram Stoker novel I expected quality. It didn't live up to my expectations. The problem is Hugh Grant. I've never understood his success as an actor. He's incapable of playing a role, any role, he can only play himself. Maybe it's his Britishness that endears him with American audiences? I don't know.

The story itself is good. In a remote Scottish village an ancient creature, a carnivorous giant worm, returns periodically to devour members of the local population. The film has erotic moments, and is in serious need of a remake. Without Hugh Grant.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.