Tuesday 1 February 2011

From Dusk Till Dawn (5 Stars)


This is one of the best films ever made, and I defy anyone to contradict me. A bank robber and his brother are fleeing to Mexico, taking a disillusioned ex-preacher and his children as hostages. Apart from Harvey Keitel, one of my favorite actors, there are near perfect performances from George Clooney and Juliette Lewis.

While watching the film again today I realised something for the first time, something I've never read in other reviews. The first half of the film is a Quentin Tarantino film, the second half is a Robert Rodriguez film. Anyone who is familiar with the work of these two directors will know what I mean. The first half concentrates on conversation and character development, the second half revolves around over-the-top gore. Although Tarantino is credited as the writer of this film and Rodriguez as the director it's obvious that they influenced one another in their respective work.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I'll defy you! :P I don't think this is one of the best films ever made. If I compare it even to other Tarantino films such as Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, or Kill Bill -- all three of those would be higher on the list.

    For me, when I saw this film some years ago, it was just "too": too over the top, too much of well everything.

    However, I do think that may have been the point - Tarantino has that excess as part of his trademark.

    I wasn't aware that the film was shot by two directors - that is interesting and I may watch it again to see what I make of it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the three films you named are better than "From Dusk Till Dawn". But it's still one of the best films ever made.

    The excess is more of a Rodriguez trademark. Compare this with "Planet Terror" to see what I mean.

    Incidentally, this is how I order my films in my bookcases:

    1. My English films in alplabetical order.
    2. My American films (Region 1 American imports) in alphabetical order.
    3. My Australian films (Region 4 Australian imports) in alphabetical order.
    4. My German films in alphabetical order.
    5. My films in other non-English languages, ordered alphabetically by country.

    But I also have one other category. My Tarantino films are at the top left of my first bookcase in order of release. I include "From Dusk Till Dawn" as a Tarantino film, so it's the very first film.

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.