Sunday 6 February 2011

Brassed Off (5 Stars)


Please forgive me for being unpatriotic, but I'm not a big fan of British cinema. Not modern British cinema, anyway. Back in the 1960's British films were the best in the world, but in the 1970's the British film industry went into decline and hasn't recovered since. The problem is that there isn't enough money. It's not just about expensive special effects. The best producers and screenwriters are tempted to Hollywood by big money offers.

If you were to ask me which country's films I like the most I'd look at my DVD collection before giving an answer. What country were most of the films made in? America comes first. Then Germany. I have a whole bookcase full of German films. After that Japan and China come in as a distant third and fourth. And Britain crawls into fifth place.

I'm not saying that Britain never makes good films. "Slumdog Millionaire" was a great film. And then there's this film, "Brassed Off". Just describing the plot doesn't do it justice. In my opinion this simple little film is the best British film made in the last 30 years. Against the background of true events, it takes place in the north England town of Grimly in 1992. The coal mine which is the town's main employer is threatened with closure. Against this depressing scenario we see the story of one man who is fighting to keep the miners' brass band active. It isn't a comedy, although it does have a few funny moments. The late Pete Postlethwaite excels in his role as the band's conductor, a man with a passion for music above all else. This was the peak of his career. I know, I know... this is a film that doesn't sound interesting from its description, but I strongly recommend it, you won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. Mostly I won't comment when you review a film I haven't seen. I'll just make a note to myself that here is yet another one! But I wanted to comment on this one, because I always like reading up on films with Ewan McGregor. Not everything he is in, is good, but usually his films are interesting and quirky and sometimes funny. I look forward to checking this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I've never really paid much attention to Ewan McGregor as an actor. For me this film is all about Pete Postlethwaite. But this is a great film, and it doesn't matter why you watch it. Please let me know when you manage to see it. In particular, I'm curious how someone not from England can relate to the north England background to the story. "The Full Monty" also takes place in northern England, but the setting is less relevant, compared to "Brassed Off".

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.