Saturday 29 January 2011

Dark City (5 Stars)


A man wakes up suffering from amnesia. He has a knife at his side and a dead woman is lying in the next room. The police suspect him of being a serial killer, but how can he prove to them he's innocent when he even suspects himself? As he dodges the police he's also pursued by a group of mystery men dressed in black. The only person who knows the truth is a psychiatrist who limps around the city giving cryptic clues as to what is happening.

This is one of the best films I've ever seen. If you haven't yet seen it I advise against reading other reviews, because it's difficult to say more than a few words without spoiling the film's mystery which unfolds as it develops.

The film was released in the same week as "Titanic" and suffered as a result at the box office. It was filmed on a budget of $40 million, but only earned $27 million in the theatres. Since then it has gained great critical acclaim. It's a film that is worth watching over and over again.

1 comment:

  1. Having defied you in "Dusk till Dawn", I won't defy you here.

    "Dark City" is without a doubt one of my favourite dystopic SF films. The marriage of the different genres, including film noir, is exquisite, and the acting is superb. I studied this one at university (along with several other SF cult classics).

    I don't want to say much more - I've given away that there is an SF component. Like you, I recommend this film to anyone and it really is best seen with as few preconceptions as possible.

    ReplyDelete

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.