Thursday 2 December 2010

TV Soap: Coronation Street


While I almost never watch "Coronation Street", I think that I should pay respect to it as the world's longest running television soap that is still being shown. Next Thursday, December 9th, will be its fiftieth anniversary. It's also the anniversary of William Roache who has played Ken Barlow in the soap since the first episode, and is the actor who has played a role for the longest time continuously.

I won't say much about the soap, since I know too little about it, and merely refer anyone who's interested to the Wikipedia page. On December 9th the anniversary episode will be broadcast live. While not a soap fan I'll be sitting watching it with a glass of wine in my hand, taking part in this special occasion and celebrating William Roache's performance as a British icon.

If any of my readers are Coronation Street fans I invite you to write something about it and I'll publish it here.

P.S. The soaps "Guiding Light" and "As the world turns" ran on American television for 57 and 54 years respectively, but have both been discontinued.

P.P.S. Helen Wagner played Nancy Hughes McClosky in "As the world turns" from 1956 to 2010, but she took a four year break from 1981 to 1985.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tick the box "Notify me" to receive notification of replies.